The course runs for 2 years, with 1 day a week attendance at College, and the remaining 4 in practice. The course includes several exams, assignment work and the completion of a nursing progress log, which spans the full two years of training. Gaining this qualification enables you to register with the RCVS and legally carry out a fuller range of animal care duties in practice as an RVN.
Please note, we are unable to take learners who are volunteering at a practice, as you must be in paid employment.
- Infection control in the veterinary practice
- Applied animal welfare, health and husbandry
- Functional anatomy for veterinary nursing practice
- Principles of veterinary anaesthesia
- Professional relationships and communication
- Principles of small animal veterinary nursing emergency and critical care
We pride ourselves on our facilities at our Pencoed Campus, which include:
- Dedicated small animal centre housing exotics, small furries, rodents, birds and fish
- Large animals: pigs, alpacas, poultry and donkeys
- Fully functioning equine yard
- Dedicated Veterinary Nursing classroom and practical training room
These programmes are part financed by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.