Mental Health First Aid is for everyone. Mental Health problems are extremely common with one in four people experiencing some kind of mental health problem in any one year. Depression, stress and anxiety, for instance, are widespread problems that affect thousands of people in Wales. Despite this, people do not always feel confident to discuss mental health or to offer the initial support that people need.
Overview & Modules
All Mental Health First Aid (Wales) courses will include the following sessions over a 12 hour period:
Why mental health first aid?
- Mental health policy in Wales
- Common mental health problems
- Attitudes and the See Me anti-stigma campaign
- The five steps of mental health first aid
What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Alcohol, drugs and depression
- Suicide in Wales
- Crisis first aid for suicidal behaviour
- Crisis first aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
What are anxiety disorders (PDSD, GAD, social phobia, panic disorder, agoraphobia, OCD)?
- Symptoms of anxiety disorders
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid for panic attacks
- Crisis first aid for acute stress reaction
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Non- suicidal Self Harm (prevalence, first aid and treatment)
What are psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder)?
- Symptoms of psychotic disorders
- Risk factors of psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Mental Health Legislation in Wales
- Other expressions of distress, including self-harm
- Action planning for using Mental Health First Aid
How will I be assessed?
No entry requirements needed
Continue your studies