Most learners stay at Weston House term-time only for 38 weeks, Sunday to Friday.
By arriving on Sunday, we ensure that learners are ready for the college week on Monday morning and at the end of a very busy and action packed week, our learners go home to their families/guardians on a Friday afternoon to spend their weekend.
Learners and their families tell us they enjoy this arrangement as they have a balance of home and college – studying away from home during the week, yet home for the weekend to see their family, keep in touch with friends and still remain part of their local community.
This is important for when learners leave Weston House either to move into independent living, supported accommodation or return to their family home.
Whilst most learners stay with us during the week and return home at the weekend, we can offer a range of options including over 52 weeks a year and 7 days.
We have a varied evening activities programme which is individualised to extend every learner’s independence, social development and help them make the transition into adulthood. Activities include:
- Independent living skills – food preparation for self, food and kitchen hygiene, health and safety, home management tasks
- Daily living skills – supporting learners to take responsibility for their personal hygiene, developing routines, laundry skills, choosing the right clothes, making simple snacks
- Personal presentation – developing their knowledge and skills in areas such as hair and beauty, shaving, “looking good”
- Drama – including helping our learners improve their self-esteem, confidence building, speech and language development
- Yoga – this activity is particularly helpful for those who have difficulties with managing their anxiety
- Learner led activity nights – these help our learners to plan their leisure appropriately and include a wide variety of options such as ten pin bowling, eating out at local restaurants, community visits, cinema, and theatre clubs
- We also offer an extensive range of sporting activities to help maintain personal fitness levels, improve social skills and independence and promote team building. We offer each of our learners new and exciting experiences such as weekly swimming sessions. wall climbing, racquetball, Zumba, surfing for all and horse riding
- We also offer weekly advocacy sessions (accredited where appropriate) in conjunction with People First